I’ve been thinking a lot about this post. Mainly because I go through so many phases and emotions and ups and downs- just like a giant roller coaster of emotions. But then I thought, that’s exactly why I should write about it because even though I do my best to have a positive outlook on life, that doesn’t mean I’m always happy. So I got to thinking on why that is. Postivity helps contribute to my happiness, but what can I do to live a happier lifestyle?
First let me begin by saying that I’m someone who takes my dreams very very literal. I have always felt that my dreams are some sort of method of communication that is trying to tell me to do or say something. Basically, I always try to trust my gut (and dream) and go for whatever I dreamt about.
I won’t get in to the dream too much, I don’t want to be here for 500 years but about a week ago when I had the dream, I was essentially thinking in my dream of all the things that make me happy that I don’t do and I really should. I’m no one to tell you how to live your life, but I do want to encourage you if you feel a void, unfulfilled, and most importantly not happy.
I narrowed it down to 5 tips.
- Do what you love. Not just the surface of that saying. Dig deep! What do you love doing so much that you can’t help but smile? What makes you feel alive? For me it has always been writing. And I mean always. I’ve had a diary since I was 5! My mission is to go over to my parents and do some massive digging to try and see if I can find them (how cool would that be?). Anyway, I noticed that even though I write on my blog, I stopped keeping my diary for about 2 years now. That’s not me. It’s as if I stopped communicating with my soul. Not acceptable. I’m starting again today.
- Seek a life coach or therapist. I just want to clarify that you don’t need to be going through anything in particular to see a therapist. My friend Brandi has recommended a therapist to me over and over and I just keep making excuses and not going. Whether it’s financials or time, I’ve just never manged to pick up the phone and make the call. Let me tell you why I need to. I am probably my biggest enemy. I over think every little thing. I have a very strong personality, and I can be one sided at times. Gosh that was hard to say! But really, sometimes having a total but professional stranger give you unbiased advice is exactly what you need. I know that’s what I need. I’m making the call this weekend.
- Dump the negative thinking. I preach this all the time, I know, but it helps! It truly has helped contribute to my happiness and better days. I know, you know this but the question is, how do you stop negative thoughts? It all comes down to awareness. Let go of all those things and people and surround yourself with more positive ones. You got this!
- Let go of resentment. I know this one is hard. I have a hard time letting go of all those bad times, memories, and people. It all replays in my head. But holding grudges is a huge contributor of unhappiness. Ask yourself, if that person or people are worth your unhappiness. I guarantee the answer is no.
- Let go of expectations. I think the core of all my issues and unhappiness has been me thinking things and people should be a certain way. My way. My daughter should behave a certain way, or my partner should have done those things, or even my own life. Heck, I even had expectations on what happiness needed to be like! I’ve learned that one, that’s no way to live life because it’s not living or healthy, and two, just let it go and just go with the flow what is meant to be will and what is not won’t.
I just released a huge sigh. I hope this helped. I truly hope this motivated you, and maybe even opened your eyes ro things you didn’t know before. I’ve been on what seems like a never ending journey to find inner peace, and a true happy lifestyle. I constantly research positive quotes, tips on how to improve your work day, your week, change habits, anything! And I really try to act on what I preach. It’s hard ro let go of stress, failure, busyness, you name it, but I bet you this, our body, heart, soul, and brain will darn sure appreciate it.
Till’ the next post!
Xo, Guadalupe ♡