Hey friends! Happy hump day! I’m so excited to be doing a food post! It feels like its been ages since I wrote about food, so this post is a little exciting for me. Change of pace is good.
This post was very spontaneous which is partly why I am so excited, but the second reason is because I discovered dairy free alfredo sauce! Now, I know this may not be new to everyone but it certainly was to me, and it was literally music to my ears since I can’t do dairy anymore. It’s funny because certain foods trigger my stomach differently. It seems like the more liquid it is the quicker it hits me. So sadly ice cream and I are slowly starting to part ways. Luckily cheese hasn’t fully stirred me wrong- yet. I swear I might just cry when that day comes because cheese is basically life.
I’ve been looking for healthier dinner options since Byron and I have been trying do dive back in to Whole 30- for real this time- so Pintrest it is! I came across this casserole dish and it only required about 6-7 ingredients and minimal bake time! Score! As someone who is still working full time, even though I’m off at 4 pm, dinner is always the most tedious thing on my mind. I love to cook, don’t get me wrong but it just takes a while sometimes and eating late is not ideal when trying to get fit. You know how it is.
So any way, this recipe just spoke to me and so did the non dairy alfredo. I did modify a few things here and there just because of personal preference and saving time of course. Here is what I used:
- Rotisserie chicken – recipe called for just shredded chicken but I forgot to pull some out before I started the recipe. So I ran over to Ralph’s and just purchased one. Besides I loved the flavor this brought to the dish.
- Sauteed onions– recipe called for just chopped onions, but I decided to saute mine. I used the skillet I cooked the bacon in (dumped the majority of the grease of course but this also really spiked the flavor I think).
- Broccoli – the recipe says you can use a vegetable of your liking but I actually enjoyed it with broccoli. It holds up well in the oven and didn’t get mushy.
- Bacon-which ever one you prefer.
- Primal Kitchen non dairy alfredo– I just got the regular one because my whole foods didn’t have the garlic flavor the recipe called for.
- Trader Joe’s hash browns.
- Salt and pepper.
I followed the recipe pretty much on out from there and we were so pleasantly surprised! It was actually really delicious and you couldn’t even tell it was not made alfredo sauce. It was creamy, salty because of the bacon, and full of comfort because to me that’s rotisserie chicken lol. It pretty much resembled a pasta dish without the pasta since whole 30 doesn’t “allow” pasta or grains but yes to potatoes so the hash browns was a great substitution if you will.
Cook time was only 35 mins in a 350 degree oven. We actually did an at home work out while the food cooked and didn’t feel bad after eating dinner for once in a while lol. I highly recommend this dish you guys, it was quick, easy, and very flavorful! If you decide to remake it, please tag me on social media so I can re-share! Enjoy!
Till’ the next post!
Xo, Guadalupe ♡
Huge shout out to Whole Kitchen Sink who is the creator of this recipe! You can check out her blog/website at: http://www.wholekitchensink.com